About the CPHIN Policy Modernization Group: CPHIN’s Policy Modernization Group is a group of like-minded healthcare stakeholders that include patient advocates, data and privacy lawyers, research ethics experts, doctors, Pan-Canadian Health Organization representatives, industry, and consultants. The group has representation from Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Quebec.
The purpose of this group is to discuss new personalized healthcare initiatives from across Canada and to serve as a sounding board for ideas to modernize health and data policy in Canada.
Real-World Evidence & Access in Canadian Healthcare (REACH) Program
Goal: To support Health Canada and CADTH in the development of a framework that will allow for the use of RWD/E in decision making throughout the lifecycle of a medication.
Background: Health Canada and CADTH are working to make better use of real-world evidence (RWE) to support regulatory and funding decisions across a product’s life cycle for both drugs and medical devices.
In collaboration with CPHIN, two 2-day sprints were held to design a new specialized pathway allowing for the collection of high quality RWE, upon which regulatory and reimbursement decisions can be made, where non-RCT data is critical.
Why is this Important?
- Allows bolstering of clinical trial data through insights from RWE
- Make regulatory and funding decisions, facilitating earlier access for patients
- Improved communication between organizations
- Successful launch of framework
- Establishment of ongoing relationships to co-create
- Creating an environment where patients can gain access to medications faster
- RWE coming (from CPHIN) is being used to make decisions